Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Class of Beatle Bangs

Mrs. Scruggs' magic potion




My second grade class had many "Beatle" haircuts. Some called it a "pixie".  The boys were slow to the trend in rural Virginia.    

Times have changed outwardly and inwardly. I can remember when these school pictures were taken. They lined us up according to our height and passed out plastic combs. We primped and combed till we had not a hair out of place. I had not seen this page from the yearbook since the sixties, until a classmate posted it on Facebook. It struck me as I looked at it that they published the pictures just as we had lined up. I was at the end, the biggest girl in the class. I can't really remember if this was embarrassing or something to be proud of. Now I look at it as a 5' 2" grownup and think how horrible it was to print the pictures in this order. Poor little overgrown me. 

Also in those days children were grouped according to their, shall we say, "academic success". And somehow I knew I was in the smart class. I know my mother would not have said anything to that affect.  The teacher probably told us and used it to make us feel guilty when we were not living up to expectations. Psychologists could have a field day.

The clearest thing I remember about this teacher is that she sat at her desk and rubbed Avon Perfumed Deodorant on her feet. Second grade gross out!        

2 comments: