Sunday, October 17, 2010

Black and White are Not Colors Just Different Forms of Light

Tonight I went to the Moving America Forward rally and heard President and Mrs. Obama speak. It was a great experience to see and hear an American president that has made history like no other.


As a child I witnessed total separation of black and white. Black people entered and ate in separate places in restaurants, had separate schools, churches and stores. Our local diner had a side room with a sliding window that black people could order from and then take it home to eat. I was told by my grandmother that  it was customary for a black person to go to a side or back door if they had to speak with someone at a white person's home. I remember wondering as a child if our black neighbors had their own TV shows, different from white people. I even wondered if their pets were different. My most awful memory was of a cross being burned in front of a house just down the road. It has been in recent days that it came to me that the girl that lived there told us she was "half Indian", so I am suspecting that she was mixed race but I knew nothing of such things as a kid. I was in 5th grade when the schools in our county were integrated. Even though together at the same school, black and white students separated themselves my whole school career. It saddens me when I think of what friendships I may have missed out on because of the culture of my town. So in my mind, in so many ways America has already moved forward.

1 comment:

  1. Your story sounds so much like what I hear on the news ..but my life was not like that ..we live near Black families and we'd stop by and my parents would let us go play with the children and my grandmother spoke of having Sunday dinner with her Black neighbors ..I think they were all farmers ...I went to a great Elementary school and I was in the 3rd grade when the Black kids started and they were all very friendly and loved braiding my long hair..I have only fond memories of everyone and no problems ever happened that I can remember...I can say when we come to our many class reunions ..it is always a pleasure to meet and see everyone Black or White...Everyone seems to have the same feelings ..the race problem ..I never saw until my children were in High School in the late 90's and I am shocked still ..I don't get this ..years after we all came together in schools and work places ...WHY..We were brought up so excepting ..with love and respect for others ..I wish we as Americans could get over the race thing and put our energy to something more important ..like bettering economy ..changing the way our government is putting us in dept..etc..We live in this World together and should pray for PEACE for ALL ..lets start here...Sherry

    ReplyDelete