Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Olfactory Memories

 Cool 60's Avon Cream Sachet


More Avon Perfume Sachets
Avon Topaz Dusting Powder-It was always on my grandmother's
 dressing table.

My Favorite Avon Scent

What a wonderful fragrance. Marilyn Chambers the adult film star was the mom on the box. She was fired soon after this package was made.

Bayer's Baby Aspirin -The most orange thing I've ever tasted-bluckkk


This stuff really made the floors shiny.

Oh, that beautiful green color.


We stunk up our houses to get that lovely fuzzy curl.


Oh, it would make your hair so shiny.



Being cursed by a super sensitive sense of smell, a scent can bring back a memory in no time. I remember the smell of Breck Shampoo, Mr. Bubble and a Toni home Perm which brings back visions of our black and white tile bathroom. I remember the smell of orange Bayer baby aspirin, Pamolive dishwashing liquid and Johnson wax which makes me think of our tiny mid-century kitchen. I loved to nap beside my dad during a long church service, leaning on his sweater that had been washed in Ivory Snow. The fragrance of Avon Products still make me think of my grandmother, who was the town Avon Lady. Outside was the smell of trash burning in a barrel in the backyard, before we had modern trash disposal practices. The smell of tobacco curing in wood-fired barns infiltrated our whole community and took over, dulling and addicting many of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment